The ancient Greeks had two words for time: chronos and kairos. Chronos refers to chronological time, measured by the calendar, or your iPhone. It is rhythmic, and predictable. It is clock-time. Kairos time, in contrast, has a different meaning. The interesting thing is that it does not have an equivalent word in English. Kairos time describes a moment of undetermined length, in which the eternal (God) breaks into the temporal (the universe), impacting and shaping it, and prepares the here-and-now to receive the infinite. This is the time where the conditional is scrapped and becomes the instrument of the unconditional.
Some references to this word in the New Testament are:
- Matthew 26:18 - He replied, "Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, 'The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.' "
- John 7:6 - Therefore Jesus told them, "The right time for me has not yet come; for you any time is right."
- Romans 13:11 - And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.

4 comments:
Congratulations, Hightowers! B, after seeing you at Hope's party, I know you're very glad to finally meet this little guy. He's adorable!
Congratulations, guys! He is gorgeous and I love his name! You guys are so creative and thoughtful when choosing names! I love the meaning, too. I hope everyone is doing well..we need more pictures! So we'll be waiting on those pictures (Dave...cause I doubt Becki will be blogging any time soon). Love to you guys!
I still can't believe we are in the middle of colds over here because I'm about to bust... don't grow one inch in the next few days, little boy, or we'll...
Oh, never mind... you little sweet faced cutie! We'll just love on you that much more soon. And Hope will just keep coloring you more pictures in the meantime. :)
If I am symptom free, at least, I will be calling tomorrow. You know we're here if you need anything!
CONGRATULATIONS Becki, Dave and Cadan! Kai is Precious! I am so thankful everything went well. Becki, it was Great to see you last week. Hopefully I will see you again soon and be able to meet little Kai in person. Take Care. And Congratulations again on your new addition and blessing.
Post a Comment